And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden. And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou? And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself. (Genesis 3:8-10)
We never like to take responsibility for our actions. When I was in high school in one of my classes some equipment broke due to their age. When asked what had happened, my first response was, “I didn’t do it.” The second time I said that, the teacher asked me, “Do you ever do anything?”
I. ADAM AND EVE TRIED TO COVER THEIR SIN. v, 7
- They made themselves aprons, which is equal to a belt. (They were well covered weren’t they?)
- Their first effort was to cover themselves with something girted around the middle.
- But they still considered themselves naked, for they hid from God. v. 10
II. THEIR FIRST RESPONSE WHEN CONFRONTED.
- Adam said, “It’s not my fault, it was Eve.”
- Eve said, “It’s not my fault, it was the serpent.”
- God did not ask the serpent what he did, if He had, the serpent might have said, “It’s not my fault, the devil made me do it.” 🙂
- God did not asked Satan, because He knew that Satan’s purpose was to destroy God’s creation.
- Satan is a deceiver.
And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. (I Timothy 2:14)
- Satan is a murderer and a liar.
Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. (John 8:44)
- Satan wants to destroy you.
Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:(I Peter 5:8)
- Satan is a deceiver.
III. ADAM IN REALITY BLAMED GOD.
And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat. (Genesis 3:12)
- “The woman whom thou gavest to be with me…”
- “God, it is all your fault.”
- When we complain about things, if we will look at its source, we will find we are in reality blaming God.
- Eve also blamed God, after all He made the serpent.
IV. EVE WAS DECEIVED.
And the LORD God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat. (Genesis 3:13)
- Adam was her spiritual leader, but he evidently did not do a good job.
- Therefore, Eve was deceived.
- Adam knew full well what he was doing when he took the forbidden fruit, therefore, in Adam all die.
Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: (Romans 5:12)
- Ladies, what would you do if a serpent crawled up beside you and began to talk to you?
- Eve thought nothing of it.
- Many a woman has been seduced by a serpent that slivered up beside her and began to tell her how pretty she is.
- But all the serpent will do is rob you or your purity, your chastity and your beauty and leave you in misery, just like Eve.
V. GOD HELD EACH ONE RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR ACTIONS.
- The same is true today, you are responsible for your behavior regardless of what has happened to you.
- The serpent, though used by Satan, paid a penalty.
And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life: (Genesis 3:14)
- Eve brought sorrow to her connection with her husband.
Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.(Genesis 3:16)
- Adam brought death to the human race and a curse upon the ground.
And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field; In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return. (Genesis 3:17-19)
- Satan was already under pain of a penalty beyond our imaginations.
- The battle between good and evil had raged ever since.
And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel. (Genesis 3:15)
- Notice it is the seed of the woman (Christ), that was to bruise Satan’s head.
This was accomplished at Calvary.
VI. GOD MADE A COVERING FOR ADAM AND EVE.
Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them. (Genesis 3:21)
- This was more than a belt, it was a robe.
The root meaning of coat is – to cover – a shirt – coat, garment, robe.
VII. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE, BUT GOD CAN COVER YOUR SIN ALSO.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God. (John 3:16-21)