Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent. They said therefore unto him, What sign shewest thou then, that we may see, and believe thee? what dost thou work? (John 6:28-30)
Probably the most asked question concerning the things of God is found here. “What shall we do that we might work the works of God?” Man, in his great esteem for himself, wants to do some great thing in order to enter into heaven. For this reason, it is easy for false cults and teachers to lead many into unbelievable efforts to reach heaven. The sad truth of the matter is that they are being lead to their destruction.
There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death. (Proverbs 16:25)
He, that being often reproved hardeneth his neck, shall suddenly be destroyed, and that without remedy. (Proverbs 29:1)
Jim Jones, David Koresh and others are illustrations of the results of walking in error. The Bible tells us that this is the ultimate results of those who go about to establish their own way.
(For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)(Philippians 3:18-19)
The Jews wanted a sign – the Greeks sought knowledge – today men try religion.
For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. (I Corinthians 1:22-24)
Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee. But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas: For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. (Matthew 12:38-40)
THIS IS THE WORK OF GOD!
I. BELIEVE ON CHRIST FOR SALVATION. v. 29
- We are saved by God’s amazing grace. (Grace = God’s unmerited favor.)
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9)
- That grace is acquired by our personal faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
- Salvation is not all that is needed for us to work the work of God.
- Salvation is absolutely necessary before we can even begin to do the work of God.
II. BELIEVE ON CHRIST FOR DAILY LIVING.
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith. (Romans 1:16-17)
But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith (Galatians 3:11)
Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him. (Hebrews 10:38)
- Not only are we saved by faith, we are also to live by faith.
- Everything that we do should be a matter of faith.
And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin. (Romans 14:23)
- God has a purpose for your life and that purpose is that you be conformed to the image of Christ.
For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. (Romans 8:29)
- Man was created in the image of God, but that image was marred by sin, and now God wants to restore that image in those who have been saved.
- Can you be critical of others and be in the image of Christ?
- Can you allow anger to rule your life and be in the image of Christ?
- Can you go against the commands of God and be in the image of Christ?
- There is only one thing that is absolutely necessary for us to do the work of God and that is to have faith.
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. (Hebrews 11:6)
- Jesus on one occasion admonished his disciples to have faith in God; not as unbelievers, but as believers.
And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God. (Mark 11:22)