And there were four leprous men at the entering in of the gate: and they said one to another, Why sit we here until we die? If we say, We will enter into the city, then the famine is in the city, and we shall die there: and if we sit still here, we die also. Now therefore come, and let us fall unto the host of the Syrians: if they save us alive, we shall live; and if they kill us, we shall but die. (II Kings 7:3-4)
Here are four lepers. They are in a dangerous place. They are not in the city, nor are they in the enemy’s camp. They are at the entering in of the gate of the city. They are desperate. If we stay here, we are going to die. If we go into the city, we are going to die. If we go into the enemy’s camp, the worse that can happen to us is that we will die. However, our only hope of survival is if we go into the enemy’s camp. Whatever they did, they were still going to be lepers. When you stop to think about it, what they did was an act of faith. And they did it without any anticipation of an outcome. “We are going to die, let’s do something.” – What about us as a church?
I. IF WE JUST SIT HERE, WE WILL DIE.
- Oh, we can go about our normal routines and have some kind of semblance that we are alive.
And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead. Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God. Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee. (Revelation 3:1-3)
- We can even make a few efforts to reach people.
- But unless we get serious about our situation we will die.
- What have you personally done to make a difference?
II. IF WE GO INTO A FELLOWSHIP OR THE CONVENTION WE WILL DIE.
- Oh, what we call College Heights Baptist Church might continue, but we as a church would truly die.
The change that would happen would appear to be life, but in reality we would die.
III. WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF WE GO INTO THE ENEMY’S CAMP?
- Where are the sinners? They are not here! They are in the enemy’s camp.
- When you are in the enemy’s camp, what are you doing to reach them for Christ?
- We as a church are trying to cast a net.
- Where is your rod and reel, your cane pole, your trot line or your throw line?
- How much time do you spend in prayer:
- For your church?
- For your pastor?
- For a particular lost person or persons?
- How often do you witness to someone, invite them to church, or give them a tract?
- Let’s all agree to pray everyday this week for God to save at least one person by next Sunday and then try to reach someone yourself. (If you need someone to go with you, call me, I’ll go with you.)
- Will you at least invite one person to church for next Sunday?
- We may need to go in as a stealth bomber.
- I don’t have the answer yet, but I am working on it, will you pray for God to give us, as a church, the answer we need for now, I need your help.